Depth Inspection of Worm:W32/Downadup.gen!A
Worm:W32/Downadup.gen!A is the newest variant of “Downup” malware family. In fact, it's a worm created to target Microsoft Windows Operating system, was first appeared in cyber space in November 2008. The Downup worm (also infamous as Conflicker, Downandup and Kido) has already infected millions of computer systems used in government organization, business and at homes. Research report has included name of 190 countries with statement that it is the largest known worm infection on the planet Earth. Cyber security experts found Worm:W32/Downadup.gen!A using flaws in Windows OS for dictionary attacks on administrator passwords to propagate while forming a botnet – that creates complex coding for advanced malware techniques to avoid Antivirus detection.
In another word, Worm:W32/Downadup.gen!A is a generic detection which represents a worm which is capable of spreading itself across a network by taking advantages of exploiting a vulnerability in the Windows Server service (otherwise known as (SVCHOST.EXE). Following attack, the worm allows remote code execution when file sharing is activated literally. Taking the worm attack seriously, Microsoft released a specific update against the Downadup worm just like they released update for WannaCry ransomware early in May 2017. Experts at Microsoft also recommended Windows users to create highly strong passwords to prevent this worm from distributing via weak administrator passwords. Speaking of symptoms associated with Worm:W32/Downadup.gen!A, there is no significant characteristic of this malware.
What can you do against Worm:W32/Downadup.gen!A infection?
There is always a way to fight against infection. So, even this time we have a solution that can be helpful for safeguarding your Windows computer against newly released threats like Worm:W32/Downadup.gen!A. First of all, it is essential to have a reliable security software installed and updated onto your each computer. As we have mentioned, the worm is targeting home computers too, it could arrive onto your PC when you both systems are connected to same Wi-Fi network. Be cautious while you are online. Next, you should get rid of Worm:W32/Downadup.gen!A using following guideline.
Manual Instructions To Uninstall Worm:W32/Downadup.gen!A From PC (Working Guide)
- Use Safe Mode With Networking To Kill Worm:W32/Downadup.gen!A From PC
- Show Hidden Files And Folders
- Get Rid Of Suspicious Worm:W32/Downadup.gen!A Program From Control Panel
- Easy Guide To Uninstall Worm:W32/Downadup.gen!A From The Command Prompt
- Possible Way To Uninstall Worm:W32/Downadup.gen!A Assistance For From Windows Task Manager
- Get Rid Of Malicious Worm:W32/Downadup.gen!A Entries From Windows Registry
- Scan Your System Using Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Software.
For Windows XP | Vista | 7
- Keep on tapping F8 until Advanced Boot Options Window appears.
- Now select Safe Mode with Networking option from the list.
For Windows 8/ 10
- Press Power button at the bottom of Windows Login screen. Press and Hold Shift button on the keyboard and tap restart.
- Tap Troubleshoot Under Advanced Option in Startup settings and press on Restart.
- Now select Enable Safe Mode with Networking in Start up settings.
Step: 2 Easy Guide To Reveal Hidden Files and Folders. (This page will guide users on Easy Guide To reveal hidden files in Windows XP, 7, 8 and 10. Users are instructed not to skip this step in any case as various files and folders created by Worm:W32/Downadup.gen!A might be hidden and need to be Get Rid Ofed before proceeding further.)
- This will open Control Panel. Now look for all Worm:W32/Downadup.gen!A related suspicious entries and Uninstall it at once. Now Type msconfig in the search box and press enter. Uncheck suspicious and Worm:W32/Downadup.gen!A related entries.
- Notepad %windir%/system32/Drivers/etc/hosts.
- Now, a new file will open. If your PC has been hacked by Worm:W32/Downadup.gen!A, there will be a bunch of unknown IPs connected to the machine at the bottom. Look at the image below:
- If there are lots of suspicious IPs below Localhost, then Get Rid Of it without any delay.
Step 5: Press CTRL + SHIFT + ESC key simultaneously. Go to the Processes Tab and try to determine which one is a Worm:W32/Downadup.gen!A process.
- Right click on each of the Worm:W32/Downadup.gen!A processes separately and select the Open File Location. End process after you open the folder. Then after, Uninstall the directories you were sent to.
- Once inside, press the CTRL and F together and type the Worm:W32/Downadup.gen!A. Right click and Uninstall any entries that you find with a similar name. If they do not show in this way, then go Assistance For to these directories and Uninstall them.
Still if Worm:W32/Downadup.gen!A exists on your PC, then you need to Free scan your PC with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Software. This page has clear installation instructions and Easy Guide To use it.