Essential Information on Zeus virus
Zeus virus belongs to the family of nasty banking Trojan. There are numerous variants of this Trojan and its also known as Zitmo and Zbot. Besides, there are few regional variants which targets the PC users in specific areas all across the world. Also, the variants of this malware can attack the mobile OS, such as Blackberry and Android platforms. In most of the cases, the members of this noxious threat are used to steal banking information.
According to the research report, this virus can be used to steal account numbers, names, password and credit card details. The malware also be utilized to gather particular information that can be used to steal victimized PC users identity. Malware researchers consider that Zeus virus and its several variants are noxious infections to the infected PC and the security. Thus, you should protect yourself by using a trustworthy anti-malware scanner and keeping it constantly updated that will help you to prevent the infiltration of such viruses.
Potential Risks Associated with Zeus virus
After stealing the banking account information from the affected user’s machine, Zeus virus sends this data to a remote host. Technically speaking, this malware was linked to a very large botnet. Moreover, one of the most common tactic which is used to distribute this Trojan virus is a malicious email attachments that are often delivered by its associated botnets. It delivers through phishing emails and also with the help of social media scams. Often, the threat will be used in the conjunction with Black Hole exploit kit.
How To Deal with Dangerous Zeus virus?
By using the malicious utility, the cyber offenders can set up attack web portals which then infect a machine with this Trojan. Zeus virus and most of its variants are especially designed to reside onto the victim’s machine without causing overt symptoms. Furthermore, apart from a slight increase into the computer resource usage, the system users will probably not notice the presence of this noxious threat. That’s why, it is very important to update your PC’s security program. In order to prevent the infiltration of such destructive virus, cyber security experts recommend never downloading a file attached to unsolicited email.
Manual Instructions to Delete Zeus virus From PC (Working Guide)
Method : 1 How to Use Safe Mode with Networking to Remove Zeus virus
For Windows XP | Vista | 7
- Keep on tapping F8 until Advanced Boot Options Window appears
- Now select Safe Mode with Networking option from the list
For Windows 8/ 10
- Press Power button at the bottom of Windows Login screen. Press and Hold Shift button on the keyboard and tap restart
- Tap Troubleshoot Under Advanced Option in Startup settings and press on Restart
- Now select Enable Safe Mode with Networking in Start up settings
Step: 2 How to Reveal Hidden Files and Folders. (This page will guide users on how to reveal hidden files in Windows XP, 7, 8 and 10. Users are instructed not to skip this step in any case as various files and folders created by Zeus virus might be hidden and need to be cleaned before proceeding further.)
Step 3: Hold Start Key + R and copy + paste appwiz.cpl –> OK.
This will open Control Panel. Now look for all Zeus virus related suspicious entries and Uninstall it at once.
Now Type msconfig in the search box and press enter
Uncheck suspicious and Zeus virus related entries.
Step: 4 Press Start Key and R – copy + paste the following command and click on OK:
- notepad %windir%/system32/Drivers/etc/hosts
- Now, a new file will open. If your system has been hacked by Zeus virus, there will be a bunch of unknown IPs connected to the machine at the bottom. Look at the image below:
- If there are lots of suspicious IPs below “Localhost”, then eliminate it without any delay.
Step 5: Press CTRL + SHIFT + ESC key simultaneously. Go to the Processes Tab and try to determine which one is a Zeus virus process.
- Right click on each of the Zeus virus processes separately and select the Open File Location. End process after you open the folder. Then after, remove the directories you were sent to.
Step 6: Type Regedit in Windows search field and hit Enter.
- Once inside, press the CTRL and F together and type the Zeus virus. Right click and remove any entries that you find with a similar name. If they do not show in this way, then go manually to these directories and uninstall them:
Step 7: How to Scan Zeus virus Using Free Tool
Still if Zeus virus exists on your system, then you need to Free scan your PC with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Software. This page has clear installation instructions and how to use it.