Analysis Report on VINDOWS DEFENDOR Ransomware
VINDOWS DEFENDOR Ransomware is kind of a Screen locker virus, having data encryption feature in order to encode standard files associated with Windows Photo, Adobe Photoshop, Windows Movies & TV, MS Office, Oracle and MySQL. Cyber threat analysts reported that the ransomware has been given ability to create unnecessary entries in the MSCOFIG panel and run automatically even you reboot your computer. Evidently, its lock screen is colored in red featuring few photos of Lewiss TechYT including few genetic images related to fake tech support scams to scare victims. According to its ransom note – it claims that your PC has been locked due to your participation in illegal online activities such as Bestiality, Scamming, Rape or Gay porn. It also warns victims that if they turn off their computer, they will lose important files.
Furthermore, VINDOWS DEFENDOR Ransomware demands 500 USD as ransom which must be paid to “Levis” via MoneyPak within 24 hours of the attack otherwise your important files will be automatically deleted without your confirmation. Research report highlights that it acts similar to Levis Locker ransomware. So that, security analysts suspect that both projects may be developed under the same evil minded programmers. Bypassing its screen lock may not be easy. You might need help of an IT expert or a proper guideline. You can find helpful guide in this article, so you should read it carefully.
VINDOWS DEFENDOR Ransomware: What You Should Note?
- Unlike its previous variant, the brand new VINDOWS DEFENDOR Ransomware is capable of encoding your important files.
- It doesn't append any extension to enciphered files. Though, you will face trouble while finding encoded files.
- Following infiltration, the ransomware locks your PC screen and demands 500 USD as ransom.
Preventing VINDOWS DEFENDOR Ransomware Infection
To block the ransomware infection, you need to secure your computer using multi-layered security provider software. You should prefer to use licensed version instead using trial or demo versions of security software to get real time protection. Moreover, you must delete spam emails and never execute attachments arrived attached with them. While surfing online, never install fake updates or click shady links. Avoid visiting untrustworthy online gaming portals or free file hosting sites in order to keep your system safe. As of now, you should remove VINDOWS DEFENDOR Ransomware and recover data using following guide:
Steps To Get Rid Of VINDOWS DEFENDOR Ransomware From OS
Procedure 1: Reboot Your OS In Safe Mode
How To Start Computer In Safe Mode with Networking (Win XP/Vista/7)
- Please restart your system. Just before the Windows start, continuously press F8 on your keyboard. Now, you will be presented with Advanced Options Menu.
- Select Safe Mode with Networking from the selection options. Please use the keyboard’s arrow up or down to navigate between selections and then hit Enter to proceed.
Method To Start Win 8 In Safe Mode With Networking
- Restart your OS and as soon as it begins to start, kindly please press Shift+F8 keys.
- Instead of seeing the Advance Boot Options, Win 8 will display the Recovery Mode. So, continue with the given instructions until you reach the Safe Mode function.
- Tap on ‘See advanced repair options’.
- Then after, click on Troubleshoot.
- Next, select Advanced options.
- On the next window, choose Windows Startup Settings.
- At last, click on the Restart button. Now, Windows 8 will restart and boot into the Advanced Boot Option wherein you can run the computer in Safe Mode with Networking.
Procedure 2: ShadowExplorer can be really helpful in restoring your file encrypted by VINDOWS DEFENDOR Ransomware
When VINDOWS DEFENDOR Ransomware attacks it generally tries to Get Rid Of all shadows copies which is stored in your computer. But there are chances that VINDOWS DEFENDOR Ransomware is not able to Get Rid Of the shadow copies everytime. So you need to restore the original files using shadow copies.
Follow these simple steps to restore original files through shadowexplorer
- Download shadowexplorer link from http://www.shadowexplorer.com/downloads.html.
- Install it on your system.
- Now you need to open shadowexplorer and select c: drive on left panel.
- Now choose at least one month ago date from date field.
- Now you need to go to the folder which have encrypted filed.
- Now right click the encrypted files.
- You need to export the original files and choose a destination to store them.
Procedure 3: System restore can be another method to restore your encrypted files
- Open start >> All Programs >> Accessories >> System tools >> System Restore.
- Click next to go to restore window.
- See what restore points are available for you , choose a restore point at least 20 to 30 days back.
- Once selecting click next.
- Choose disk c: (it must be selected by default).
- Now click next and system restore will start working and will be able to finish in few minutes.
Procedure 4: Another method for recovering your decrypted files are by using file recovery software
If above methods are not successful you can go for file recovery software. It can be helpful in recovering your encrypted files as VINDOWS DEFENDOR Ransomware first makes a copy of original files and then encrypt it. After encryption it Get Rid Ofs the original files. So there is high probability that these file recovery software can help you in recovering your original files. You can find links to some best file recovery software below.
- Recuva : you can download from http://www.piriform.com/recuva/download
- Testdisk: you can download from http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Download
- Undelete 360: you can get it from http://www.undelete360.com/
- Pandora Recovery: you can download from http://www.pandorarecovery.com/
- Minitool partition recovery: you can get it from http://www.minitool.ca/