Expert's Analysis Report on Trick-Or-Treat Ransomware
Trick-Or-Treat Ransomware is a new member of ransomware which sample has been discovered by malware researchers on October 23rd, 2017. Team of security analysts are classified it as the low-tier System threat which is likely to receive the updates in future judging by program window. The sole intention of it's author is to create the file encryption threat and earn online revenues from the innocent user. The first version of this ransomware is likely to be a screenlocker. Like other variant of ransomware, it does not lock data, it secretly opens backdoor and damage the System badly. You can easily notice it's presence on your System because it automatically modifies the wallpaper with below image :
Depth Analysis of Wallpaper Displayed By Trick-Or-Treat Ransomware
Once locking file completely, it displays a screenlocker image that includes scary straw doll. The scary doll and Halloween festivities approach suggests that the creator of ransomware is likely to release the improved copy of this ransomware very soon. Team of remote attackers uses the strong open source cryptographic algorithm and encipher almost all file types such as audios, images, videos, eBooks. Databases, text files, documents etc. After encrypting files, it blocks System user to access their files normally. Like another ransomware, it does not offer the third-party links to the payment page. But you should not trust on the ransom message displayed by Trick-Or-Treat Ransomware under any circumstances. Rather than believing on scary messages, you should follow the below mentioned ransomware removal solution to delete Trick-Or-Treat Ransomware and decrypt files.
Dispersal Methods of Trick-Or-Treat Ransomware
There are several ways through which cyber criminals have distributed Trick-Or-Treat Ransomware but mainly it spread through corrupted spam email attachments that sent from unknown sender or unverified sources to your inbox. Opening of any spam messages or corrupted attachments may lead your PC to the ransomware infection. Besides spam campaigns, download of any pirated software, use of infected devices, file sharing sources, download of cost-free packages are the another distribution channels through which hackers victimized Windows PC. Apart from these distribution channels, hackers always changes it's ways to attack PC but mainly spread via Internet. Therefore, you should be attentive and cautious while doing any operation over the Internet.
Steps To Remove Trick-Or-Treat Ransomware From Operating System
Procedure 1: Reboot Your Operating System In Safe Mode
How To Start Computer In Safe Mode with Networking (Win XP/Vista/7)
- Please restart your system. Just before the Windows start, continuously press F8 on your keyboard. Now, you will be presented with Advanced Options Menu.
- Select Safe Mode with Networking from the selection options. Please use the keyboard’s arrow up or down to navigate between selections and then hit Enter to proceed.
Method To Start Win 8 In Safe Mode With Networking
- Restart your Operating System and as soon as it begins to start, kindly please press Shift+F8 keys.
- Instead of seeing the Advance Boot Options, Win 8 will display the Recovery Mode. So, continue with the given instructions until you reach the Safe Mode function.
- Tap on ‘See advanced repair options’.
- Then after, click on Troubleshoot.
- Next, select Advanced options.
- On the next window, choose Windows Startup Settings.
- At last, click on the Restart button. Now, Windows 8 will restart and boot into the Advanced Boot Option wherein you can run the computer in Safe Mode with Networking.
Procedure 2: ShadowExplorer can be really helpful in restoring your file encrypted by Trick-Or-Treat Ransomware
When Trick-Or-Treat Ransomware attacks it generally tries to Remove all shadows copies which is stored in your computer. But there are chances that Trick-Or-Treat Ransomware is not able to Remove the shadow copies everytime. So you need to restore the original files using shadow copies.
Follow these simple steps to restore original files through shadowexplorer
- Download shadowexplorer link from http://www.shadowexplorer.com/downloads.html.
- Install it on your system.
- Now you need to open shadowexplorer and select c: drive on left panel.
- Now choose at least one month ago date from date field.
- Now you need to go to the folder which have encrypted filed.
- Now right click the encrypted files.
- You need to export the original files and choose a destination to store them.
Procedure 3: System restore can be another method to restore your encrypted files
- Open start >> All Programs >> Accessories >> System tools >> System Restore.
- Click next to go to restore window.
- See what restore points are available for you , choose a restore point at least 20 to 30 days back.
- Once selecting click next.
- Choose disk c: (it must be selected by default).
- Now click next and system restore will start working and will be able to finish in few minutes.
Procedure 4: Another method for recovering your decrypted files are by using file recovery software
If above methods are not successful you can go for file recovery software. It can be helpful in recovering your encrypted files as Trick-Or-Treat Ransomware first makes a copy of original files and then encrypt it. After encryption it Removes the original files. So there is high probability that these file recovery software can help you in recovering your original files. You can find links to some best file recovery software below.
- Recuva : you can download from http://www.piriform.com/recuva/download
- Testdisk: you can download from http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Download
- Undelete 360: you can get it from http://www.undelete360.com/
- Pandora Recovery: you can download from http://www.pandorarecovery.com/
- Minitool partition recovery: you can get it from http://www.minitool.ca/