0x80070BC2 is basically ERROR_SUCCESS_REBOOT_REQUIRED which means that the requested operation is successful. Changes will not be effective until the system is rebooted or restart. However, in reality, the Windows update error may not go away even if you restart Windows. Thus, when you attempt to install Windows updates via using the Windows update channel, error 0x80070BC2 may occur and the update repeatedly fails to install. The Windows update page may show Awaiting restart. And after restarting the system, the Windows update installation history page shows the following error under that particular update(s). Thus, the Windows Event log records this error, referencing the KB number.
In order to fix the Windows update error 0x80070bc2 during Windows update installation, make sure that the Windows modules installer (Trusted Installer) is set to automatic start.
Note: To fix Windows update error 0x80070bc2 you need for Windows modules installer (Trusted Installer) service is set to manual start by default.
Set Trusted Installer to automatic start.
In manner to set Windows modules installer and other three services to automatic-start, follow these given below steps:
- Step 1: Right-click Start, click Run. Type Services.msc and click OK.
- Step 2: Scroll down till you find Windows modules installer, and double-click the service.
- Step 3: Windows modules installer automatic start.
- Step 4: Set the service’s start type to automatic.
- Step 5: Click OK.
Also, set the following services to Automatic start.
- Windows update.
- Background intelligent transfer service.
- Cryptographic services.
- Exit the services window.
Alternately, via Command Prompt:
If you wish to automate the above setting via batch file or command-line, use these commands from an elevated or administrator Command Prompt:
- SC config wuauserv start= auto
- SC config bits start= auto
- SC config cryptsvc start= auto
- SC config trustedinstaller start= auto
Finally, now restart the system and see if you can install Windows updates now without getting the error 0x80070BC2.