Technical Description on SONAR.IFEO!gen1
|Discovered on||14 February 2017|
|Last Updated||15 February 2017, 12:18:18 AM|
|Risk Impact||Very High|
|Affected Systems||All Windows OS|
Detailed Information on SONAR.IFEO!gen1
.IFEO!gen1 is detected as a nasty cyber infection which belongs to the family of Trojan horse virus. Here abbreviation “IFEO” refers to Image File Execution Options. Although, it is a very complicated Windows mechanism which allows the users to check their programs for potential errors. It appears as a registry key, that can be created both manually and also with the help of some specialized tool. Once the task is completed, few applications will be started automatically in the debugging mode when the computer is launched. However, the feature may be used for the far less good operations than helping the program developers who create useful software.
Besides, the people responsible for some highly frustrating tools may use the mechanism “IFEO” in order to launch their questionable products and spread SONAR.IFEO!gen1 virus automatically over the Internet. Moreover, the questionable types of application which rely on IFEO feature are detected as a PUP.IFEO, where the PUP belongs to potentially unwanted program. Usually, the dubious programs associated with this Trojan may use “bundling” distribution tactic, which means that they enter the targeted computer as additions towards some free applications. Although, this approach efficient because most of the system users may skip the crucial details and agree to load SONAR.IFEO!gen1 malware without knowing.
Working Principles of SONAR.IFEO!gen1 Malware
Once the SONAR.IFEO!gen1 threat gets access to the targeted machine, it may cause several modifications onto your system. As a result, you may notice an unusual behavior of your installed web browsers, including Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft Internet Explorer, Edge, Chrome and Opera, consisting of some unwanted browser redirection towards insecure third party web pages. Due to the presence of this Trojan horse virus, few banners and pop-ups also may appear on your computer’s screen, which disrupting the normal functionality and causing annoyances. Furthermore, there may be even some more severe issues, that is depending on the exact version of SONAR.IFEO!gen1 virus which is currently reaches your PC. So, if you notice any issues related to this Trojan malware, the highly recommended course of action is to immediately scan your machine with a reputable and powerful anti-malware scanner.
Manual Instructions to Delete SONAR.IFEO!gen1 From PC (Working Guide)
Method : 1 How to Use Safe Mode with Networking to Remove SONAR.IFEO!gen1
For Windows XP | Vista | 7
- Keep on tapping F8 until Advanced Boot Options Window appears
- Now select Safe Mode with Networking option from the list
For Windows 8/ 10
- Press Power button at the bottom of Windows Login screen. Press and Hold Shift button on the keyboard and tap restart
- Tap Troubleshoot Under Advanced Option in Startup settings and press on Restart
- Now select Enable Safe Mode with Networking in Start up settings
Step: 2 How to Reveal Hidden Files and Folders. (This page will guide users on how to reveal hidden files in Windows XP, 7, 8 and 10. Users are instructed not to skip this step in any case as various files and folders created by SONAR.IFEO!gen1 might be hidden and need to be cleaned before proceeding further.)
Step 3: Hold Start Key + R and copy + paste appwiz.cpl –> OK.
This will open Control Panel. Now look for all SONAR.IFEO!gen1 related suspicious entries and Uninstall it at once.
Now Type msconfig in the search box and press enter
Uncheck suspicious and SONAR.IFEO!gen1 related entries.
Step: 4 Press Start Key and R – copy + paste the following command and click on OK:
- notepad %windir%/system32/Drivers/etc/hosts
- Now, a new file will open. If your system has been hacked by SONAR.IFEO!gen1, there will be a bunch of unknown IPs connected to the machine at the bottom. Look at the image below:
- If there are lots of suspicious IPs below “Localhost”, then eliminate it without any delay.
Step 5: Press CTRL + SHIFT + ESC key simultaneously. Go to the Processes Tab and try to determine which one is a SONAR.IFEO!gen1 process.
- Right click on each of the SONAR.IFEO!gen1 processes separately and select the Open File Location. End process after you open the folder. Then after, remove the directories you were sent to.
Step 6: Type Regedit in Windows search field and hit Enter.
- Once inside, press the CTRL and F together and type the SONAR.IFEO!gen1. Right click and remove any entries that you find with a similar name. If they do not show in this way, then go manually to these directories and uninstall them:
Step 7: How to Scan SONAR.IFEO!gen1 Using Free Tool
Still if SONAR.IFEO!gen1 exists on your system, then you need to Free scan your PC with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Software. This page has clear installation instructions and how to use it.