About LOL ransomware – It's Working Tactics
LOL ransomware is a treacherous malware infection which the malware experts have notified as an updated version of PGPCoder ransomware. It once done with the perforation procedure, causes numerous dangerous issues onto the system. Experts have notified this menacing infection initializing the conduction of several unethical practices via executing a deep scanning of the entire system in seek of the files compatible with it's disruption and then posing encryption onto the files matching with it's target list. It for carrying out encryption operation onto the targeted set of files, makes usage of an asymmetric encryption algorithm. This encryption usually renders the compromised files completely inaccessible to the users.
LOL ransomware do appends '.LOL!' extension onto the targeted files while encrypting them. It furthermore, following the successful accomplishment of the encryption procedure, releases a text file namely 'get data.txt' and place it in each of the folder including enciphered files along with a ransom demanding message. Researchers have notified the released ransom-demand message divided into two sections i.e., 'JOKE' and 'SERIOUSLY'. Between these two sections, the first one i.e., 'JOKE' simply mocks the victim's 'poor knowledge' and lurks them into taking cyber-security-associated lessons while on the other hand the second one i.e., 'SERIOUSLY' do furnish the victims with information about the occurred encryption. It states that the PC's files have been enciphered in a manner that can only get recovered through a unique decryption tool which the malware developer have developed while encrypting files and have stored on the remote server. Now since decryption without this key is completely impossible to the users, thus victims are required to make purchasing of this decryption tool with an equipped private key. Regarding this, they need to establish contact with the provided email address (i.e., email@example.com). The email message is required to include the above mentioned 'get data.txt' file along with 1-2 random enciphered files (up to 5 MB). Victims will then supposedly get payment instructions and decrypted files.
Note released by LOL ransomware besides also includes threatening message stating that in a case if the asked amount of payment is not made within one month, then in that situation the enciphered files will be deleted for forever, rendering their recovery impossible for forever. Now despite the fact that the message appears 100% authentic initially, it is kindly suggested not to trust it and instead only concentrate on the uninstallation of LOL ransomware from the PC since according to PC experts it is the only measure possible to the emancipation of PC from all such dangerous traits.
Installation Tactics of LOL ransomware
- LOL ransomware commonly intrudes itself inside computer system through junk emails and their respective malicious attachments.
- Via freeware, shareware and drive-by-downloads.
- Playing online games and sharing files in networking environment also leads to the dissemination of this vicious threat inside PC.
Steps To Delete LOL ransomware From Windows System
Procedure 1: Reboot Your Windows System In Safe Mode
How To Start Computer In Safe Mode with Networking (Win XP/Vista/7)
- Please restart your system. Just before the Windows start, continuously press F8 on your keyboard. Now, you will be presented with Advanced Options Menu.
- Select Safe Mode with Networking from the selection options. Please use the keyboard’s arrow up or down to navigate between selections and then hit Enter to proceed.
Method To Start Win 8 In Safe Mode With Networking
- Restart your Windows System and as soon as it begins to start, kindly please press Shift+F8 keys.
- Instead of seeing the Advance Boot Options, Win 8 will display the Recovery Mode. So, continue with the given instructions until you reach the Safe Mode function.
- Tap on ‘See advanced repair options’.
- Then after, click on Troubleshoot.
- Next, select Advanced options.
- On the next window, choose Windows Startup Settings.
- At last, click on the Restart button. Now, Windows 8 will restart and boot into the Advanced Boot Option wherein you can run the computer in Safe Mode with Networking.
Procedure 2: ShadowExplorer can be really helpful in restoring your file encrypted by LOL ransomware
When LOL ransomware attacks it generally tries to Delete all shadows copies which is stored in your computer. But there are chances that LOL ransomware is not able to Delete the shadow copies everytime. So you need to restore the original files using shadow copies.
Follow these simple steps to restore original files through shadowexplorer
- Download shadowexplorer link from http://www.shadowexplorer.com/downloads.html.
- Install it on your system.
- Now you need to open shadowexplorer and select c: drive on left panel.
- Now choose at least one month ago date from date field.
- Now you need to go to the folder which have encrypted filed.
- Now right click the encrypted files.
- You need to export the original files and choose a destination to store them.
Procedure 3: System restore can be another method to restore your encrypted files
- Open start >> All Programs >> Accessories >> System tools >> System Restore.
- Click next to go to restore window.
- See what restore points are available for you , choose a restore point at least 20 to 30 days back.
- Once selecting click next.
- Choose disk c: (it must be selected by default).
- Now click next and system restore will start working and will be able to finish in few minutes.
Procedure 4: Another method for recovering your decrypted files are by using file recovery software
If above methods are not successful you can go for file recovery software. It can be helpful in recovering your encrypted files as LOL ransomware first makes a copy of original files and then encrypt it. After encryption it Deletes the original files. So there is high probability that these file recovery software can help you in recovering your original files. You can find links to some best file recovery software below.
- Recuva : you can download from http://www.piriform.com/recuva/download
- Testdisk: you can download from http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Download
- Undelete 360: you can get it from http://www.undelete360.com/
- Pandora Recovery: you can download from http://www.pandorarecovery.com/
- Minitool partition recovery: you can get it from http://www.minitool.ca/