Gruxer ransomware – First Analysis Report
Unfortunately, Gruxer ransomware is in the loose which seeks to extort money from the innocent computer users whose important files are enciphered. Unlike other so many popular ransomware, it uses a unique algorithm (not based AES or RSA ciphers) to encipher your important files. Particularly, the ransomware pay special attention to JPG images. Please note that Gruxer virus comes bundled up along with two other threats named as TEARS.exe and WORM.exe. When the ransomware is present on your system, you can see GRUXER.exe process running in Task manager as a service along with above mentioned two threats. Surprisingly, the ransomware doesn’t mess up with original file extension or file names but in a secret way it just corrupt files and embeds a PNG that displays notifier text “Gruxer was here”.
Gruxer ransomware – Highlights
- Gruxer ransomware demands $250 USD via a Bitcoin base account in the name of providing decryption key/ Decryptor software.
- It displays phishing words of its developers and gives only 72 hours to make ransom payment otherwise the per computer based private key gets deleted from the remote location permanently.
- Its ransom note is displayed on compromised PC screen entitled as “ATTENTION! DO NOT SHUT OFF YOUR COMPUTER..” you can these information inside READ_IT.txt which is dropped on your desktop.
- Gruxer ransomware is being used as an extortion tool against innocent/inexperienced computer users.
- Important! If you keep a reliable Antimalware installed and updated then you don’t need to worry because its detection ratio is so highly nearly 51/60.
Prevent Tips against Gruxer ransomware
Mainly, infiltration of Gruxer ransomware is carried forward via email services. An automated program called Botnet sends spamming emails containing exploit kit or payload of the ransomware. Upon you double click on attached files or shady links, it finds a way to get inside your Windows system. Updating Windows or installed software from untrusted source is risky as well. Hence, to delete Gruxer ransomware and recover your enciphered files, make use of following instruction wisely:
Follow Steps to Remove Gruxer ransomware from PC
Step 1: Know How to Reboot Windows PC in Safe Mode (This guide is meant for novice users)
Step 2: Gruxer ransomware removal Using System Restore
Still, if you are facing problem in rebooting PC in Safe mode, opt for System Restore. Follow the steps given below.
Prss F8 continously until you get Windows Advanced Options Menu on Computer Monitor. Now Choose Safe Mode with Command Prompt Option and Tap enter
In the Command Prompt Windows, you need to type this command : cd restore and Select Enter
Now type rstrui.exe as command and press on Enter
This will open a new window to Restore System Files and Settings. Click on Next to proceed.
Kindly select the Restore Point from the date you want to restore back your system as it was earlier to Gruxer ransomware attack
Step 3 Use ShadowExplorer to Restore Gruxer ransomware Encrypted Files
Alternatively, you can also use ShadowExplorer to Restore Encrypted files due to Gruxer ransomware Attack.
When Gruxer ransomware attacks it generally tries to delete all shadows copies which is stored in your computer. But there are chances that Gruxer ransomware is not able to delete the shadow copies everytime. So you need to restore the original files using shadow copies.
Follow these simple steps to restore original files through shadowexplorer
- you need to download shadowexplorer link from http://www.shadowexplorer.com/downloads.html
- Install it on your system
- Now you need to open shadowexplorer and select c: drive on left panel
Another method for recovering your decrypted files are file recovery software
If above methods are not successful you can go for file recovery software. It can be helpful in recovering your encrypted files as Gruxer ransomware first makes a copy of original files and then encrypt it. After encryption it deletes the original files. So there is high probability that these file recovery software can help you in recovering your original files.